Prostate cancer is a common form of cancer that starts growing in the prostate gland which is in the male reproductive system. The disease has various treatment options, but many times treatment may not be done. Because the disease progresses slowly, some men may choose to monitor its progression first before opting for treatment.
Prostate cancer occurs in various stages. Knowing the early symptoms of the disease will help in allowing early treatment to cure prostate cancer. Also, various exercises of the prostate can be performed to protect the prostate and improve the overall prostate health.
- Difficulty in urinating – This is the first early warning sign of prostate cancer. The patient feels an urgency to urinate but then nothing comes out. They may also urinate more often than normal or find difficulty in stopping after finishing. The urethra is surrounded by the prostate gland and any interference may affect urination and ejaculation.
- Pain during urination – The patient feels a lot of pain during urination because the tumor is surrounding the urethra. Urinary tract infections also cause the pain, and it can also be an early warning sign for prostate cancer. It is better to visit the doctor for a check-up when you experience pain during urination.
- Blood in the urine – In some cases, blood is seen in the urine, a condition known as hematuria. Once you see blood in the urine, seek medical help immediately. It may not be a lot of blood or just traces or a smear of it. The blood in the urine may be because of an infection in the prostate or bladder, kidney stones or BPH. It may also be due to a tumor in the bladder, kidney or prostate.
- Leakage or dribbling urine – Leakage does not occur in large volume, but it is noticeable as an early symptom of prostate cancer. The patient visits the bathroom often while experiencing urine leakage. Your doctor will explain that it’s the symptoms of BPH or an overactive bladder. But if the symptom combines with other symptoms, you should go for further testing.
- Erectile problems – If the patient is finding it hard to get or maintain an erection, they should consult the doctor. Erectile problems are a big concern for every male. Erectile problems are caused by atherosclerosis. They can also be a result of prostate cancer interfering with erections or ejaculations. Kegel exercises can help in improving your sexual and prostate health.
Early diagnosis can lead to better treatment of prostate cancer. The five early signs above should be a pointer that you should see your doctor as soon as possible. After getting your diagnosis for prostate cancer, you will be given various options. Some men may choose to wait and monitor the disease’s progress instead of starting treatment based on the stage of the cancer. Prostate cancer progression is slow and choosing the appropriate treatment option should be discussed with your doctor to determine what the best choice is for each patient.