Treated in only 3 VISITS!   214.379.2700


Prostate Cancer Treatment Clinic  

Men have choices for treating prostate cancer.
Prostate seed implantation is one of the best options.

“Men don’t have to have major surgery or other time-consuming and difficult procedures in order to effectively treat prostate cancer. You don’t have to lose your sexual function or have long lasting urinary tract problems. The fastest growing solution for prostate cancer is seed implantation. The seed implant procedure is simple, quick, and produces excellent results. The advantages of this choice are significant, since complications are usually temporary and mild compared to other solutions for prostate cancer. In fact, Rudolph Guiliani, former mayor of New York City chose this therapy for his prostate cancer.”

Gregory A. Echt, M.D.
Founder and Medical Director
Prostate Seed Institute

In his three decades of practice as a radiation oncologist, Dr. Gregory Echt has treated prostate cancer with seed implantation in more than 5,000 men, including urologists and other radiation oncologists. Dr. Echt and his team at the Prostate Seed Institute offer the most highly sophisticated methods of radiation therapy available in the United States, equal to that found in major medical center and academic settings. These include prostate seed implantation, high dose radiation implants, and external beam radiation with image-guided and intensity-modulated (IGRT and IMRT) capabilities.

Today Dr. Echt leads radiation oncology programs at Las Colinas Cancer Center and North Texas Cancer Center of Wise in Decatur. He also provides treatment in private surgery centers across the North Texas region. Dr. Echt serves people coming from Dallas, Fort Worth, Waco, Plano, Wichita Falls, Austin, Lubbock, Midland-Odessa, Abilene, San Angelo, Amarillo, El Paso, Tyler, Texarkana, Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Houston, Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas and New Mexico.

Echt earned his medical degree at Indiana University School of Medicine. He completed an internship and residency at Los Angeles County-University of Southern California in Los Angeles, California. He is board-certified in radiation oncology by the American Board of Radiology, has published numerous articles, and is active in many medical societies.

Am I a good candidate for prostate seed implantation?

If the cancer is unlikely to have spread beyond the prostate gland, seed implantation is an excellent choice. If chances are good that the cancer has spread, a combination of seed implantation and external beam radiation may be the best option. Dr. Echt and his team work with each patient on an individual basis to determine which therapy best fits each circumstance.

Prostate Sees Implantation Clinic.How does prostate seed implantation work?

Prostate seed implantation, or brachytherapy, is performed by a radiation oncologist. Because the patient is sedated, the procedure is generally painless. Sophisticated computer programs and other medical technology guide placement of rice-sized radioactive “seeds” into the cancerous prostate. The tiny seeds target only the tumor and prostate gland, thus controlling the area exposed to radiation. The goal of the treatment is to destroy cancer cells with radiation while preserving healthy tissue.

Advantages of seed implants:

  • The procedure takes about one hour, then the patient walks out of the clinic and is driven home by a friend or family member. Most patients are back to a normal routine within a day or two.
  • More than fifteen years of data are available on this method of treatment. It has proven to be an excellent option for treating prostate cancer. In numerous medical studies, seed implantation equals or exceeds the cure rate of surgery to remove the prostate.
  • Treatment is generally painless, as the patient is given a mild anesthetic.
  • Recovery is much quicker and has fewer complications because the procedure does not require major surgery.
  • Rates of sexual problems such as erectile dysfunction (ED) and urinary problems are very low. According to the American Cancer Society, a major study (CaPSURE), rates brachytherapy as having the lowest rate of sexual dysfunction of any treatment, even after five years.

Disadvantages of seed implants:

  • Most men temporarily experience moderate to severe urinary urgency and frequency, and a weak urinary stream for up to several months, especially at night. Less than 5% of men may find they are temporarily unable to urinate, with the need for insertion of a catheter to relieve this problem. Medication can be prescribed for these issues.
  • PSA is a blood test that indicates the possibility of prostate cancer. Following seed implantation, the PSA may decline for as long as several years before reaching its lowest point. The patient’s urologist and/or Dr. Echt follow the PSA closely.
  • Sexual problems such as erectile dysfunction (ED) occur in approximately 20% to 30% of patients. This probability is lower in younger patients. The situation is usually temporary and 70% to 75% of cases can be treated with medication such as Viagra.

Dr. Echt will be glad to discuss options for treating your prostate cancer. A physician referral is not necessary. Call our main scheduling office at 214.379.2700 today for your appointment.